The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ forecast supports this trend. According to the their Occupational Outlook Handbook, these Englishy careers are projecting growth in the coming decade:
- Postsecondary teachers: 12% growth
- Lawyers: 10% growth
- Managers: 6 % growth
- Secondary teachers: 5% growth
- K-12 education admins: 5% growth
- Elementary teachers: 4% growth
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Field of degree: English, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/field-of-degree/english/english-field-of-degree.htm (visited January 31, 2023).
The Occupational Outlook Handbook predicts modest growth in writing and media focused careers, as well:
- Media and communication: 5% growth
- Total, all writer/author occupations: 5% growth
- Writers and authors: 4% growth
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Writers and Authors, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/writers-and-authors.htm (visited January 25, 2023).
Finally, the OOH predicts moderate growth in public relations:
- Public relations specialist: 8% growth
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Public Relations Specialists, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/public-relations-specialists.htm (visited January 18, 2023)
It’s a great time to be an English major!